Program Management and Staff Supervision
Progressively increasing responsibility for administrative work and staff mentorship.
Spotlight: Visualizing the Future, IMLS National Forum Grant
Justin Joque (Universirty of Michigan), Andy Rutkowski (University of Southern California), and I applied for and were awarded a National Forum grant from IMLS to develop a literacy-based instructional and research agenda for data visualization in libraries.
The pandemic expanded our original two-year timeline to four years. During this time, we recruited a cohort of fellows, organized in-person and virtual gatherings, managed the award funds, submitted regular reports to IMLS, assessed progress toward goals, and pursued various projects in service of the mission of the grant.
- As Interim Head of the Assessment & User Experience Strategy Department, I have been responsible for managing the strategic direction and execution of the department’s assessment program since December 2021.
- As the inaugural Data Visualization Coordinator in the (now) Center for Data and Visualization Sciences, I conceived of and delivered a cohesive, comprehensive, and creative data visualization service program. The program was so successful that a second visualization consultant was approved after three years.
- Assessment & User Experience Strategy Department, budget and resource management (Interim Head, 2022–present)
- Visualizing the Future National Forum Grant (Co-Principal Investigator, 2018–2022)
- Visualization Friday Forum weekly talk series (Co-Organizer, 2012–2020)
- Visualizing Social Mobility in the Developing World, Bass Connections course (Team Co-Lead, 2017–2018)
- DUL Student Data Visualization Contest (Lead Organizer, 2013–2016)
- Places & Spaces: Mapping Science touring exhibit (Lead Organizer, 2015)
- Full-time staff supervision
- Joyce Chapman and Thomas Crichlow (Jan. 2022–present); Zeke Graves (Apr. 2022–present); Sean Aery, Derrek Croney, Michael Daul (June 2022–present)
- Full-time staff onboarding
- Zeke Graves (2022)
- Formal staff mentorship
- Adam Hudnut-Beumler (2022–present)
- Hired and/or supervised paid Duke graduate student workers
- Yasha Saxena (2023), Audrey Liu (2022–2023), Candice Wang (2022), Victoria Nneji (2018), Luke C. LeGrand (2017–2018)
- Recruited and supervised volunteer practicum students
- Sarah Dwyer (2023), Jimmy McKinnell (2023), Gary Rowland (2023), Julie Pullen (2022), Tracey Yu (2022), Loida Pan (2022), Allison Ruvidich (2022), Beth Blackwood (2016)
- Completed official three-day Managing at Duke management training program (March 2017)
- Regular attendance at workshops and completion of online learning in project management, meeting facilitation, Agile software development
- Co-organizer, Visualizing the Future 2021 Public Symposium. A three-day virtual symposium, including a mix of presentations, discussions, reports, and workshops. November 2021.
Additional team members: Justin Joque, Andy Rutkowski, Visualizing the Future Fellows.
- Grynoch, Tess, Aghassibake, Negeen, Christensen, David, and Zoss, Angela. (June 6, 2022). Teaching data visualization: Adapting the Visualizing the Future data visualization modules for your institutional context. Workshop at IASSIST 2022, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Zoss, Angela M. (October 18, 2019). Thinking (and teaching) critically for data visualization. Invited presentation at North Carolina State University Libraries’ Coffee and Viz series, Raleigh, NC.
- Daly, Emily and Zoss, Angela M. (May 1, 2019). AUX-XL: A year into the expanded AUX. Presentation at Duke University Libraries – First Wednesday Series, Durham, NC.
- Boyer, Josh, Wirz, Jackie and Zoss, Angela M. (June 28, 2014). New Directions for Data Visualization in Library Public Services. Panel presentation at Annual meeting of the American Library Association 2014, Las Vegas, NV.
- Zoss, Angela M. (December 10, 2013). Visualizing (:) A New Data Support Role for Duke University Libraries. Accepted presentation at Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) Fall 2013 Meeting, Washington DC.
- Zoss, Angela M., Chapman, Joyce. (September 19, 2022). Assessment & UX at Duke Libraries. Guest lecture at graduate Information and Library Science course on Library Assessment, Chapel Hill, NC.